Inspired by Trader Joe’s Spicy Lentil Wrap I created this recipe to get my fix of this delicious wrap. It’s great because it can be made ahead of time and it doesn’t make the bread too soggy. The dip is lemony, garlicy, spicy goodness and you can dip a lot or a little. It’s a guilt free food with little calories and no cholesterol (it’s vegan, shhhh). The ingredients on the wrap called for red lentils, and I would have used those, but I forgot to pick them up when I went to a different grocery store, so I used green lentils instead (forgive me?). They are definitely less pretty than red lentils, but just as yummy, I assure you. It’s all rolled up with lavash bread, which I love. I’m able to buy it at Trader Joe’s, but I’m sure if you have a middle eastern or russian market near you will have no problem picking up this delicious bread. Flour tortillas would work just fine as well. The cabbage can be replaced with lettuce if you wish, but the cabbage keeps longer than the lettuce. I love making things ahead of time because I have such a busy schedule, and I’m sure you do too!
Ingredients for the wrap:
Serves 1 person
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup cooked bulgur
- salt to taste (~ 1 tsp)
- 1 sheet of lavash bread (9×12 inches)
- 2 tbsp spicy roasted red pepper paste (I purchase this in the Middle Eastern section of the grocery store – and I’m not making any money referring you to the link I just love this line of Bulgarian made foods)
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage or lettuce
Ingredients for the tahini sauce:
- 1/4 cup tahini (crushed sesame seeds)
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4-1/2 cup water (depending on how thin you want the sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
If you want it to be a dipping sauce add 1/2 cup of water, if you want to have it inside a wrap you’ll want it to be a thicker sauce so only add 1/4 cup of water.
Directions for the tahini sauce:
Easy peasy! Add all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
Enjoy the wrap immediately or the next day!